Courtney has been dying to take the GO train into Toronto. So we did. Actually, we (incredibly) headed into the city twice. Both Saturday and Sunday. It's a weekend that we are pushing her limits on napping. I'm certain that come Monday when it's back to the routine - I will be wishing that she had those naps - but for the moment - day trips in the city = lots of fun. But, back to today. We spent much of the morning walking the city. From Union to Queen Street West - doing some window shopping and people watching. Then going into Spadina, then circling back to the Eaton Centre and then back to Union. It's a lot of walking. It was when we entered Spadina and Queen that I started to remember being Chinese. You see, Spadina / Dundas is getting into the heart of Chinatown. If you are not familiar with Chinatown - let me put down some points for you:
- vegetables, fruits, wares overflowing onto the sidewalk
- lots of people - in fact a lot of elderly out with their wire shopping baskets
- unknown and weird smells of herbs, dried seafood and other secret chinese remedies
- cheap clothing, flip flops, plastic ware
- grandmas hocking their home grown garden vegetables and handmade pastries
- the unmistakeble smell of durian
Finally the kicker.....after paying for my veggies - a grand total of $2.02. We walk down another block and the same beans are .70 a lb. I stopped looking at prices and food and instead took in the sights, sounds and more smells. Who needs the best deal anyways?