What is it about red dye?

So, the second kid gets to eat stuff at an age that the first born never got. It just happens. It's easier and I'm a bit more relaxed about it. Of course, I feel a bit like a horrible mom when I allow said junk food type foods to enter his little almost 2 year old body, but just so you know, it's not just junk food that I cave into, it's all realms.

Jeremy will be almost 2 years old and this is a small list of stuff that he's already consumed well before Courtney was allowed to. He pretty much eats what we all eat and when I'm cooking fancy spancy, the kids get it too. I never got in the habit of cooking separately for the kids on a regular basis. And since they don't eat that much more when it is kid friendly food, I mostly just cook what I please. Lately, I've been going to a lot of gourmet cooking classes, so it's been lovely smells coming from the kitchen. Mixed in with the occasional quick dinner of egg noodles ( cause it's got some protein in it) and sauce and it almost balances out.

  • Popsicles with crazy dyes which turns out make him go a bit bonkers
  • marshmallows
  • small quantities of chips, cheesies, and nacho chips
  • sushi and sashimi
  • nuts
  • smoked salmon
  • okra
  • dark chocolate
  • falafel
  • gummy worms

The list could go on....but what I wanted to share is the popsicle, what are they called rocketships?...you know the ones I mean. Growing up, they were the ones that you got from Dickie Dee, or the ice cream truck. Friday was Sports Day at school for Courtney and we all came home licking popsicles. It took a while for Jeremy to get into it and he didn't really finish it, in fact, he only ate the red tip part. But that bit sure left an impression on him. Both kids had the sillies and red cherry lips until bedtime. So, moral of this is...I have to check into these "dyes". They never bothered my daughter all that much, but the little dude he seems to go nuts from it.

Comments

Christy said…
Red dye? Evil in our house. In fact, give Aaron red kool aid or jello and look out. RED DYE + SUGAR = disaster. :)

Popular Posts